Wednesday, December 1, 2010

update

Sampurna, one of our patients, and me at a wedding.
Sampurna was definitely the best dancer on the floor.
He's so cool he has TWO girlfriends, twins!
Yesterday I worked in PT, today I am a science teacher at an elementary school.

Actually, it's not that dramatic.  I knew at least one day in advance that I'd be moving to the school.  And I'll probably spend some more time in PT here and there.  Also, the kids at the school are taking exams this week, so I'm really not teaching yet.

I'm really excited about this change.  I resisted going to the school for a long time, in fact, I resisted any SM teaching calls before I even came to Nepal.  I didn't want to teach....I got out of that major for a reason.  I didn't want the typical SM experience.....tropical island teacher.

But it turns out, I really like to work.  And working was something I did not do enough of in PT.  It was not unusual for me to fall asleep at work after lunch.  I read a few books at work.  Sometimes we, 3 of us, would have four patients in 5 hours - and the rest of the time was spent thinking about home.  Even though I've come to really enjoy working with the people in PT and I like PT in general, I needed a change.  I've learned just about as much as I can in that department, without much prior PT training.  And besides, how much do I want to learn from a guy who recently re-broke the bone of a patient during PT?!  And then at the school, two teachers quit during the middle of the term....so, they kind of need teachers.

And so I'm excited.  There are definitely things I'll miss from PT, but I'm happy to have a new challenge, to have a job where I have more responsibilities, to work with these amazing kids, and to teach science - even if it is pretty basic.

Other things I'm excited about:

-The amazing people who, under top-secret operations, have brought me a heater.  (Although I'm still sleeping under 8 layers of blankets and with a hot water bottle.)
-I'm done being sick.  But I almost got sick again - going to a wedding last night.  I accidentally ate a fish, and nearly lost my supper.  It was in this fried/breaded concoction of vegetables...and I thought it was a pepper.  And the lighting was kinda low - I don't know why I stuck the whole thing in my mouth at once, really dumb idea.  Then I crunched on the bones, and I couldn't spit it out in front of these people...  Like I said, it was a close call.  I am definitely a vegetarian for more than just health reasons.
Post fish experience.  With Parakram and Bijuli - two of the people I work with in PT.
-The brownies and seven-layer bars I am eating in full force to try to regain some weight.  Thanks Mom!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh. Don't you love not feeling guilty about eating sweets? Me too. Tonight I ate a cookies and cream hersheys bar and almost all the candy that was in my SM package, and do not feel the least bit guilty about it. :) I hope you are staying well now! How is science teaching going so far? I bet you will be great at it! I will send you some Philippine warmth for some Nepali cold :)

    ReplyDelete