Tuesday, February 15, 2011

a little rain and a little teaching

Class outside is always better than class in a refrigerator.
I really should complain out loud about the weather more often.  Last night we had quite the little thunder and lightning storm, which finally let loose into a rainstorm.  As I laid in bed wishing I was asleep, I tried to figure out exactly how a cloud bumping into another cloud could make that much noise.  I’m supposed to be the science teacher...  
Today was wonderfully cloudy, and it rained off and on.  During the 3rd grade science class, it started pouring.  We were supposed to be having a “boring,” “not fun” class period because of their bad behavior yesterday, but honestly, I don’t know how to make a class boring with the 3rd graders.  They are too fun!  So when it started pouring rain on our metal roof, we all ran to the window to watch it.  Prashanna says, “Can I tell you one thing?” (He prepositions each statement with this question.)  “Today is a fox’s wedding!”  Apparently when the sun shines through the pouring rain, a fox gets married.  Interesting.  I also had to convince him that there are no dinosaurs, none ANYWHERE, on the whole, entire earth.  Nowhere.  We finished class talking about the flood and how the earth was created.  All this starting from the solar system......
There is really something special about being a teacher.  
Like today when I was watching the 4th graders paint each of the planets.  There’s something special about being able to praise a student’s work, and seeing that smile in return that says, “Really?  You like it?!”  
Something special about “having all the knowledge” and getting to share it.    “No Shital, the earth does not rotate faster and slower at different times of the year.  What would happen if, on the first day of winter when the days get shorter, the earth all of a sudden started spinning faster?  We’d all fly right out of our desks and off the earth!  Does that happen?”
Something special.  Still not my calling though.

No comments:

Post a Comment