| Dixon, trying to fly a kite. |
Today was GOOD. One of those days you wanna run home and tell everyone about, and since my refrigerator is the only one who listens at my house (when it’s alive), I’m going to write it down instead.
This morning I got up, finally, at 8 o’clock and felt warm in my 53˚ room. I had lots to accomplish in the hour before I went to work, but somehow I finished it all with 10 minutes to spare.
For school, I’d prepared worksheets and science experiments, games and new ideas for classroom discipline. I was determined to have a better day than yesterday - which was out of control. But you know - some day are just like that, no matter what you do.
The 5th graders loved the puzzle, the 3rd graders finally got the concepts of force and work, the 1st graders got really competitive in our word game, and the 2nd graders listened for longer than 10 seconds - actually most of the class period! The Kindergartners had an interesting day, when a Nursery kid pooped ALL over their room just prior to my class. We had class outside.
But the 4th graders, that’s where it was at today. With a new seating chart, we had more order and more quiet. I had a short demonstration on transparent, translucent, and opaque objects, and I just love it when kids start to understand the concept - instead of the lame definition in their poorly written book. But it was more than learning a concept today. For a couple of kids, I wanted to give them some self worth.
Cheating is an acceptable way of life here, but the 4th graders are kings of the trade. I’m tired of it. I know they are smart, and if they’d apply a little brains, I know they could figure it out pretty quickly on their own. But talking to the guy next to you, and then cheating off the girl next to you is more convenient I guess.
So today when I was grading at the end of class, I had a spontaneous idea to write a couple of students some notes in their notebooks. Their sentences were terrible, they were forgetting half the thought, not to mention the articles before nouns. And many of the sentences were the same, obviously copied. So I started writing notes to a couple of these guys, complimenting them on their strong points, and asking for a little more focus so their sentences were actually readable.
But my favorite was this. Aakash just cannot focus, rarely listens. He’s 'going to toilet', getting a drink of water, staring off into space, and then blatantly glancing over someone’s shoulder for the answers. By the end of class, he hadn’t finished the assignment, and I told him he couldn’t play at recess until it was done. He rushed to get it done, and when I sat down to read it, I was actually a little surprised. He had his own answers! Almost all of his sentences made sense, and I just wanted to hug the guy for not cheating!
So I wrote him a note at the top of the page. “Aakash, you are so smart! Your English is very good, and your sentences are very well written! I know you can do well in this class if you just try your best!” While they were all at recess, I found them and handed back their notebooks. Lastly, I handed Aakash his notebook, not even sure he’d open it to see his grade. I walked back to the classroom, grabbed my bag, and headed back outside to collect the 1st graders for the next class. I pretended not to notice him reading his notebook. As I walked past the 4th grade room, another 4th grader stopped me through the window to ask for help. Mid-discussion, Aakash runs to the window and interrupts, “Miss!” holding his notebook, and flashes a HUGE smile. I felt so GOOD!
After school I went home, and shortly thereafter, 12 year old Dixon came to the door as he so often does - just to hang out. I answered the door, “Come in Babu!” which I could tell he greatly appreciated from the glare in his eyes but he refrained from punching me. We talked about school, the program they are having soon, the band he is going to play bass in, whether or not he will be Adventist, whether or not he will go to heaven, and his family - which I’ve always wanted to know about. He lives with his Grandma, and his 13 yr old brother and a much younger brother. His mom lives in Kathmandu and his Dad is in India - he thinks - and he doesn’t know what he’s doing there. He saw his mom maybe a month ago, and his dad maybe 2 year ago. A family like that just hurts me - especially since I love Dixon so much. He’s just so funny, and cute - in his own boyish way, and I don’t know how anyone couldn’t be attracted to his genuinely warm personality. I’m glad to be family to him, and that he likes to come over randomly.
Not long after that, Shrijan came over. I told them, “Now TODAY I want you to eat this cake I made. Otherwise we’ll go play soccer and forget to eat it like we have for the past 5 days!” There were 9 pieces left - 4 of which Shrijan ate, 3 were Dixon’s, Abhishek came in time for 1 piece, and when Sunil and Dennis showed up - they were just in time to split the last piece that Dixon was planning to eat. “Jenny! Will you please make another cake? This Thursday, ok? No, Friday.....You’ll make us a cake on Friday right?”
And then we played soccer. Now I just want to say that I LOVE soccer. I came here as a terrible soccer player - definitely not an asset to anyone’s team. Last month, I got my first compliment, “Jenny you’ve really improved since you’ve come.” (Coming from Abrik, this means a lot! hah) But today.... today was GOOD. I made two of the best shots of my life. I did this fancy switcheroo with the ball (kind of on accident!), throwing off my opponent, and shooting the ball right past the unsuspecting goalie, Sunil. Dennis yells out, “Jenny! You came here and improved your soccer skills!” Later, Sunil - still the opposing goalie - kicked the ball straight out to the center where I was standing. Real quick like, I spun around and blocked the pass with my backside, and shot a goal. Meanwhile, Sunil was in this sort of shock, and collapsed dying in laughter over how I’d blocked the ball. Seriously, I was having so much fun in this game! Later on, a perfect opportunity came to head the ball, so I took the opportunity - the first time I’ve done this during a game. Everyone was like, “WOW! See Jenny, isn’t heading fun?!”
After the game, Shrijan and I walked to my house to get a drink of water and a Band-Aid for his toe (and I felt like such a Mom! hah). I went to Prayer Meeting, where I sat with three of the cutest girls.
All throughout today I’ve been singing this song by Gungor, called “God is Not A White Man.” The chorus is just so perfect for today: “But God is good, God is good, and He loves everyone. God is GOOD, God is good, and He loves everyone.” It’s just such a happy song!
I have exactly 4 weeks from today until I leave. And it’s days like this that make me realize how hard that will be.
Today was good, because God is GOOD.
| Dixon - what's not to love? |
Ah! I'm there! I'm there! I'm right there with you in all this goodness Jenny! Thank-you for writing about it. I love hearing these stories. Soak it up. I remember when I wrote that exact sentece "I have exactly 4 weeks from today...."
ReplyDeleteWow. Soak. It. Up. love Em