Saturday, September 18, 2010

Nepali Driving Manual

Dr. Cardona drove us to the airport on the night Jeff left Nepal.  We got talking about what it takes to get your driver's license in Nepal.  It goes something like this:  There is one orange cone set up.  Take your car, enter on the left side and make a left turn.  Then back up past the cone.  Then exit from the way you came in.  Bam - you've got a license.

He also said, "I've driven in a lot of places, but Nepal is by far the worst."

While Jeff was here he came up with a few driving rules.
  1. Assume you have 100% of the right-of-way...
  2. Honk vigorously if you don't get it.
  3. If that doesn't work, try flashing your brights or just drive with them on all the time.
  4. If that still doesn't work, well... you're just playing a game of chicken!
  5. Remember, no corner is too blind to pass on.
  6. The louder your horn is and the longer you hold it, the more effective it will be.
Yep, pretty comprehensive.

4 comments:

  1. I pretty sure he said there were rows of cones...not just one. But I could be wrong

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, that was for the motorcycle license test. Weave in and out of the cones = license. I'm pretty sure there was only one for the car license.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, you had to go down a in between cones down a "road" made by cones on either side I'm pretty sure. Otherwise he would not have hit one cone if there was only one to hit!

    ReplyDelete