| From left to right, Bikram, Dennis, Abrick, Shrijan, me, Dixon. |
The other night we went over to Lincoln and Drusi's house to watch a movie and build a fire out back. The boys go almost every week, but this was the first time I'd gone with them. When we got there Drusi said, "Oh, you guys made a new friend." (Man was she wrong.) I said politely, "Oh, we're not really new friends." Shrijan added, "Yeah, she's more like a sister."
| Brownies and Frito-like chips with Shrijan |
The first Sabbath I got here, Dennis told me, "I'm going to call you Jenny Didi." (Didi means older sister.) And Dixon began calling me "Sloooooop," so I really felt at home. And I really realized this week that we are like family. These guys are beyond blunt. They tell me whatever comes to mind. "Jenny, that hairstyle does not suit you." "Jenny, don't kick the soccer ball like that!!" "Jenny, you are too pretty today." "Jenny, are those mosquito bites on your face?" (No... nope, just acne.) "Jenny, so big your nose!" (Now I'm self conscious - is my nose big?? haha) "Jenny, you're pretty good ... for a girl!" And then the other day, while looking at some pictures of friends and family I'd put up on the walls of my new apartment, one of them says, "Jenny, you are beautiful in that dress." I about melted. These kids are so honest and I love it.
Some days, they'll text me just to say "goodnight and have good dreams." And in a time when I'm so far away from home and all the people I love, it means a lot. I'm so thankful for them.
| Brothers of mine. |
Ah man this is awesome Jenny. I laughed so hard and also just feel very inspired to make people family, even if we just eat alot of cookies together and play UNO. :) You're doing good! :) Love and miss you, Emily
ReplyDeleteHi Jenny's friends!!
ReplyDelete