Sunday, September 26, 2010

moving day


A week ago Friday I moved.  I absolutely love my new place.  But, it was without a doubt the worst moving experience in my life.  And I move a lot - something like 4 times a year - between home, and school, and camp.  That Friday I was sicker than sick.  All I wanted to do was take a nap, but instead I packed up my stuff and hauled it into the hospital compound, in the rain.  I moved to the 4th floor of the ’95 building, which is great because I have a wonderful view.  But when you’re hauling extremely heavy suitcases, it’s not so great.  I’m pretty sure it would all have been fine if I hadn’t been sick, but I had to stop at every floor to wheeze and cough.
I brought the first suitcase up, and it had mostly clothes in it.  So before I unloaded it into the closet, I decided I’d rearrange the bedroom.  The bedroom has 3 things in it: a bed, a desk, and a closet.  And the closet is just about the ugliest piece of furniture you’ve ever seen.  And it’s the first thing you see when you walk in the room, so I wanted to move it.  Turns out it’s also the heaviest piece of furniture I’ve ever moved as well.  So I moved it where I wanted it, and it didn’t fit.  I moved it somewhere else.  Then the bed didn’t fit.  After about 40 minutes, everything was back to it’s original location!  I’ll just have to figure out some other way of beautifying that closet.
I also had to move quite a bit of the kitchen stuff to my new apartment because there was absolutely nothing in the kitchen.  Well, that’s a lie, because there were in fact quite a few cockroaches, dead maggots, and rotten (not just sprouting) potatoes in the cupboards.  To whoever lived here before me, yes, I just loved cleaning up after you.
I also decided this would be a good time to wash my sheets since I’d have to remake the bed anyway.  When I washed the sheets, the sun was shining.  It was starting to cloud over by the time I put them on the line, and shortly thereafter it was raining.  So I brought them inside and hoped it would stop raining later.  It didn’t.
By the time Sabbath arrived and I went to vespers, I had no idea where anything was, and I hadn’t eaten supper.  Back at my old house, prior to trekking, I'd tried to rid the kitchen of any food, and the rest of my kitchen was really emptied when we came back.  Any scraps that were now left, had definitely not made it to my new apartment yet.  But thanks to the Cardonas, who had a bunch of us over to their house to sing and eat food, I was spared the joys of finding myself something to eat afterwards.  Then they even sent me home with food for breakfast - wonderful people!
A week later, I’m quite settled and not nearly as sick so I can more fully appreciate my new apartment.  I have a bigger refrigerator, with a separate freezer!  I have a wonderful view.  I have neighbors, whom I really like even though they are nosy in a friendly sort of way.  I get to hang my laundry on the roof - I feel like such a local!  I have a cute little dining room table which would be perfect for a date ... but I’m in Nepal!  I have tons of pictures of all you important people on my walls.  I’m on the hospital compound now, so I feel safer when I’m walking home late at night.  The only downside is possibly the smaller water heater, but it’s probably good for me to learn how to take shorter showers.  And I do miss my lawn mowers at the old place (cows).  Actually that’s a lie too.


1 comment: