Tuesday, August 10, 2010

ukus mukus bhayo

ONE
As is usually the case, I got home last night long after my housemate Marlene had gone to bed.  She had wanted to tell me something, and so had written a note and taped it to the top of my bedroom doorway.  I love it when she does this, because, I am so unobservant!!  I never see it - instead, I run into it with my head, and then I'm like, Oh! There's a note hanging there!  She and Tobias and another German doctor here were going on a walk at 5:30 am the next morning with some other volunteers they had just met.  Wondered if I wanted to go.  Well, yes, yes I did.
We got up bright and early and met 4 other girls: two from Denmark, one from Germany and one from Vancouver Canada.  They are all working with Projects Abroad and are here for about 2 months, working at several different hospitals in Bhaktapur.  We walked for 2 hours out towards the town of Panauti and then we cut off on a smaller road up into the hills a little bit.  Really quite fun, although not as strenuous as I would have appreciated, haha.  If it doesn't rain in the morning, we may go again.

TWO
This evening I walked out the door with a cell phone in my back pocket.  It felt so good! haha.  When I first got here, without a cell phone, I kept on thinking I was hearing my phone vibrate.  Or after I got out of the shower, I'd think I needed to check my phone for any texts.  I guess I eventually got used to not having a phone.  Now, I have Yvonne's old phone, and it's basically just so people from the MD center can get ahold of me.  The weird thing about it is: one second it says battery full, the next second - low battery.  And my $1.64 charger only sometimes works!

THREE
I learned the absolute coolest phrase today in my Nepali lesson today.  Ukus mukus bhayo, which when literally translated means I am suffocating because my stomach is full.  I laughed so hard with my tutor, multiple times. And I've been saying it to myself all evening because it sounds so funny!  Learning Nepali is fun.

1 comment:

  1. Man, I miss Nepal.

    Your going to have to record yourself saying those words.

    ReplyDelete