Saturday, July 24, 2010

insert title here




Today, Friday, was just fun.
They day started at 6 am when I was going to go work out.  I recently discovered there is a gym at the school - SWEET!  (Maybe I will actually get to my goal of 10 pull ups!  I was soo close!)  However, early in the morning I can rationalize anything...so I instead stayed in bed for an extra 50 minutes.  But on Sunday, I AM going to work out.  I give you permission to ask me if I did, that way I will, hah.
Outpatient PT was quite busy, which always makes it more fun for me because I hate not having anything to do when it’s slow.  (We have anywhere from 15 to 35 patients a day, and there are no appointments, so sometimes you have 10 at once and sometimes you sit around drinking tea.)  There is a sweet lady who broke her back falling out of a tree who comes in every day for therapy and she teaches me lots of Nepali words.  I’ve been learning body parts.  Also while I was at work, I found out my housemate arrives on Sunday!  She’s a med student from Germany and she’ll be here for about a month.  She could be perfectly obnoxious and I’d still be happy for the company in my big house!  But I doubt she’ll be obnoxious - she chose Nepal - she’s probably awesome!  (Now this means I need to clean my house, I’d hate for her to open the door to: “Hello, your housemate is a slob!”)
After work I went to the house we plan to rent for our Muscular Dystrophy home to do some measuring of rooms for carpet and painting and such.  I went with Sangram and Santos, and for the first time, I felt like I really connected with Nepali people!  We made fun of each other, made jokes. and actually understood each others’ humor.  It was so fun!  On the way back to the hospital, I passed this small kid wearing fleece long john pants and a sweater and toting a nearly empty backpack and he began sneakily jogging along behind me trying to keep up.  I eventually slowed so he could catch up and he began talking to me in Nepali.  I have no idea what he was saying, but then I asked him his name in Nepali.  He told me, and I told him mine, and suddenly it just felt like we were best buds.
I walked to Yvonne’s house where two other girls, Deepa and Benita, and I used her kitchen to make no bake refrigerator cookies.  We had a blast, arguing over the best way to mix the skim milk into the cookies and over how to stir the boiling sugar/butter/milk/cocoa mixture.  Also, eating the cookies was a big plus; my sweet tooth has been suffering a major deficiency lately.  
Even vespers was fun, and I found out speaking with a translator isn’t as hard as I thought it would be.  Now I’m back at my house and there is quite the party going on down the street.  Part of me wants to go, except it’s rather late and they’re probably all drunk, and I can’t dance anyway, so... oh well.  The fact of the matter is, the music is probably a lot better from this distance, and the dying light outside my house flickers and flashes just perfectly to make my own disco lights in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment