Look! You can see me in the mirror!
Sometimes my lack of Nepali language really gets in the way of things. Yesterday I was in PT with a patient who started talking to me in Nepali while pointing numerous times to her eyebrow. She started making pinching like motions with her fingers, so I thought maybe she was talking about using tweezers to pluck her eyebrows. Maybe she’s asking me if I pluck my eyebrows? It soon became obvious though that the answer to her question was not a yes or no. Finally, I asked another girl who speaks decent English what on earth this lady was talking about. Apparently it was something like after a recent surgery (or suture?), she now had deep throbbing pain in her head. Even in English, I was a little confused. Plucking eyebrows, throbbing headache.....oh brother. How was I supposed to know?! People just cannot understand why I don’t speak Nepali. “Yvonne speaks it and she’s white...” Maybe the difference is having lived in the country 2 1/2 weeks vs. 7 years, haha.
This eyebrows lady was quite the case. When I finished using ultrasound on her frozen soldier, she starts pointing vigorously to her elbow. She wants ultrasound there too. (What do you think this is, lady? Magic?) I ask Yvonne, she says go ahead and do some ultrasound there, but for only half the time. So I ultrasound her elbow, then she starts pointing to a spot on her back. (This is getting ridiculous!) I ultrasounded that spot for the 30 seconds left on the timer, just to make her happy. Then she points to another 2 spots on her back. Good grief! I go to Yvonne, “Should I just keep ultrasounding ‘til we’ve covered her whole body, or is this enough?!” Turns out, the lady had been in a traffic accident, and someone else was having to pay for her therapy, so the longer she was there, the better (in her mind). Wow, I don’t know how she pulled that off, as far as I’ve noticed, no one has any rights here. I don’t think anyone has insurance either, I could be wrong though.
We see sooo many traffic accident patients. Other common things I see in PT and in the ortho ward are lots of women who’ve fallen out of trees (they pick the leaves for their cows), bad femur fractures, actually - a lot of big bone fractures in general, cellulitis (not related to cellulite) - gross!, and lots of burn patients (their clothing catches on fire from their cooking fires). Also fairly common here are people with 4 thumbs. I hope I happen to have my camera next time I see someone, so I can inconspicuously take a picture. It’s a dominant gene too, so watch out who you marry - you could end up with a whole double-thumbed family!
Jenny!!! I love hearing how you're doing! Makes me miss it there and the life of the asian culture. Tell Yvonne I said hi! I'm praying for you! You're doing an awesome job!
ReplyDeleteHi Jenny. Love the running narrative so keep it coming. Is that Caleb with the dark hair and glasses? He looks familiar. I think we met him at Youth for Jesus last summer or someplace.
ReplyDelete