Three stories of enlightenment. Or something. Good laughs anyway.
ONE
Today at school, my schedule once again changed. Now I teach science to all grades - Kindergarten through 5th, and 2nd grade English. As this was my first time teaching the Kindergartners, they were a little confused especially as this was normally the period they had math. They don't speak much English. I try to convince them that, really, I AM supposed to be here, you'll have math at ANOTHER time. "No Miss! Science No! Math!"
"No, it's Science. Now what page are we on?" The entire class erupts into the song Jesus Loves the Little Children. Where did THAT come from?
After 15 minutes of class time, and asking for the 20th time, and each time getting a different page number, I went and found the vice principal to come explain to the class that it really was science time. Then I finally could get started. Woo. I love this class though.
TWO
In 3rd grade today, Abhilekh told Promika, "Chup!" I'd heard this word many times before and I knew it meant something along the lines of be quiet, but I've never wanted to use it because what if it meant something more like 'Shut up!' and I don't want to be rude.
So today I asked Abhilekh, who has very good English, "Is 'chup' a nice way of saying be quiet, or is it more rude like 'shut up'?"
He says, "It's a nice way."
I wondered, "So then is there a more rude way of saying it too?"
He points and shouts in English, "You donkey!"
I don't know what it is about animals, but it seems to be the most common form of insult here.
AND THREE
Dennis and Dixon came over to my house this evening. Who knew a computer dictionary could be so entertaining? Let's type everyone's name into the search bar!! Nooooo.... I think to myself. I TRY to pretend this is really boring and we should do something else now. But no. J-E-N-N-Y. And for all you who didn't already know, jenny is another word for female donkey. I found this out a couple of years ago, thanks to Laura's grandpa, and have been trying to keep that fact from getting out since I've been here. My constant companions already refer to me as a donkey on occasion, just as a joke, but now...... Now I'll NEVER live it down.
Woe is me.
No comments:
Post a Comment