Monday, October 18, 2010

quakings

Last night at 1:57 a.m. I woke up - because my bed was shaking.  I was positive it was an earthquake.  I don't recall having felt an earthquake since my southern California days - at least 13 years ago - but the feeling was easy to remember.  Nevertheless I had to be sure.  I shone the light of my alarm clock underneath my bed to make sure no one was underneath it shaking it.  I tried to shake the bed myself, but I'm not usually a violent sleeper!  So I laid awake for at least a half hour thinking about how awful it would be to have a bad earthquake here.  Pictures of Haiti going through my head.  Wondering about the quality of construction of my building.  It's times like these I'd really prefer not to live on the 4th floor of an apartment building in Asia.

Turns out there was a 5.0 earthquake on the Nepal-Tibet border.  I'm thankful it wasn't worse!

2 comments:

  1. Dang. Glad you're ok. There was an earthquake in Collegedale, TN once... but I slept through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But at least if your on the 4th floor you only have the roof caving in on you and not 3 whole floors!

    ReplyDelete